HISTORY OF TENNIS IN THE DAYTON AREA
Compiled by Barbara O’Hara and Tom Creager
James M. Cox of Cox Newspapers organized the first Montgomery County Tennis Tournament in 1895. The tournament has missed only one year, 1944, when it had to be canceled because World War II limited the number of tennis balls made available. Originally this tournament was played at Dayton Country Club with Cox (later Governor of Ohio) handing out the trophies.
This Dayton Daily News-Montgomery County Tennis Tournament, which is open to men and women in singles and doubles, is now played every July at The Jim Nichols Tennis Center on DeWeese Parkway.